Full time Senior CAD Designer position in Christchurch
Niko Engineering Limited is an engineering consultancy providing high quality specialist services to New Zealand’s electric power industry. We serve clients in the fields of power generation, transmission, and distribution, and we are proud to hold the role of “consultant of choice” with several of these organisations.
By joining Niko, you will be involved in designing and delivering complex and exciting projects throughout the power sector.
We are a medium sized company, which allows you to have a presence and be an active contributor to the organisation – you won’t get lost in the crowd!
The opportunity we offer:
We are looking for talented and experienced draughtspersons to join our team. For this role you need to bring the combination of draughting and the electrical industry experience to the table.
This is one of three draughtsperson / designer roles currently available with Niko. Due to client workload growth and internal promotions, we are looking to grow our CAD design team capability and team numbers.
Our team use AutoCAD, designing using both 2D and 3D models. We use specialist software systems (Inventor, Station Design Studio), scripting, and software to deliver designs efficiency and accurately. We are looking for staff with the desire to be at the forefront of technology, using the most advanced software and systems available.
As a successful candidate you will provide a key role in delivering substation and power station designs for a range of clients including Transpower, distribution and generation companies.
Our industry is presently experiencing significant growth due to the desire to decarbonise, and the desire to maintain existing transmission, generation, and distribution assets. Niko Engineering Limited is a key part of this and is seeking to grow its capability to support our key clients.
Key aspects of this role are:
- Generate 2D and 3D AutoCAD drawings that meet quality and content requirements.
- Undertake electrical design (design draughting), dependent on the applicant’s capability.
- Develop AutoCAD models and drawings using specialist electrical industry and standard CAD software.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of (and apply) client and industry draughting codes and standards, as well as applicable quality policies and procedures.
- Develop relationships with our clients.
- Delivering quality first time, every time.
- Coaching less experienced staff and supporting them to deliver quality.
What we are looking for:
As a successful candidate, you will have:
- A passion for the electricity industry, you will enjoy solving complex problems and demonstrating initiative.
- Attention to detail and a drive for technical excellence as Niko’s reputation relies on high quality design outputs.
- An eagerness to learn new skills in draughting automation, scripting and modelling.
- Great basic skills with AutoCAD, likely backed up by a formal AutoCAD qualification.
- A formal electrical qualification, a strong experience in this area, or excellent draughting experience in a related area.
- The ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Great communication, presentation, and computer skills.
Niko Engineering Limited offer:
- A competitive salary and other financial benefits such as mobile phone accounts and free medical insurance.
- Wellness benefits such as free fruit, free flu vaccinations and sit/stand desks and a friendly and flexible working environment.
- Professional and technical learning and development opportunities, including support towards your professional goals from peers who have walked the path before.
- Effective coaching, which is critical to Niko’s objective of passing skills and knowledge from one generation to the next, thereby creating a sustainable Engineering Consultancy. You can expect an individual coaching plan that is supportive, encourages your strengths, assists your learnings, and paves a way for your professional growth.
- Opportunities to grow, learn and take on further responsibilities as you grow your skills and your understanding of the company.
To apply for this role, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
You must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.