We take immense pride in delivering great quality specialist services to clients spanning power transmission, generation, and distribution. As a respected consultant we are privileged to be able to work with industry leading companies such as Transpower, Mercury, Genesis, Meridian, and Eastland Generation.
At Niko, our distinctive company structure sets us apart. Our senior staff operate on a fixed salary or a flexible remuneration scheme, where compensation reflects both the work they contribute and the experience they bring.
You have the autonomy to determine your weekly workload, as long as you maintain client satisfaction and team harmony. Additionally, most of our technical staff hold ownership stakes in the company, with share allocation tied to individual contributions rather than length of service. This means that newcomers like you have the potential to swiftly become owners in a successful business.
This innovative approach has cultivated a team of seasoned specialists committed to excellence. We prioritise delivering quality, offering enriching opportunities, fostering professional growth, and ensuring a superior work-life balance for all our team members.
What sets Niko apart is our commitment to selecting clients and projects wisely, delivering high-quality work without compromising on unrealistic time frames or workloads. We value expertise in engineering and prioritise timely project delivery to foster positive and productive client relationships.
Through our strong relationships and meticulous approach, we’ve earned great opportunities to use our skills and knowledge. Examples of this in the primary space are new grid connections we are designing for our clients, a 66kV connection for a 100MW BESS and at 220kV for both new wind and geothermal plants. We are looking to grow our two transmission teams to take advantage of the many opportunities being offered.
Visit www.niko.nz to discover more about Niko’s values and the impactful work we undertake.
The opportunity we offer:
Niko is currently seeking a talented engineer to join Niko as a Primary Systems Electrical Engineer. Your role will center on leading, executing, and contributing to upgrades and new site developments for both Transpower and our generation and distribution clients.
Niko has the capacity to welcome either intermediate or senior engineers, offering you the chance to collaborate with and learn from experienced experts in primary systems and the broader New Zealand Electricity Industry. As the industry experiences significant growth driven by decarbonisation efforts and the maintenance of existing assets across hydro, geothermal, thermal, and wind sectors, Niko is poised to expand its capabilities to support clients.
Key aspects of this role include:
- Developing designs from option studies through to detailed designs, technical specifications, and reports for electrical upgrade and new build projects.
- Preparation of proposals for design tenders.
- Developing relationships with our clients.
- Carrying out quality assurance reviews of work by other Engineers.
- Keeping abreast of International Standards, New Zealand and Australian Standards, and legislative requirements.
- Communicating and coordinating project activities with others.
- Managing allocated time for tasks effectively.
This is a full-time, salaried role working 40 hours per week during normal business hours. Niko offer a competitive salary ($90,000 to $170,000 depending on experience).
The expected start date for the role is 1 April 2024.
Are You the Perfect Fit? If so, come and join us:
We’re on the lookout for an exceptional candidate who aligns with our vision and values. Our ideal candidate is:
- A Chartered Engineer or working towards accreditation.
- Tertiary qualified in Electrical Engineering preferred; significant industry experience considered.
- Experienced with developing detailed designs, technical specifications, and reports for electrical upgrade and new build projects.
- Conversant in HV/LV/generation and distribution power systems.
- Experienced in practical power system design (primary) up to 220kV.
- Passionate about the electricity industry, problem-solving, and demonstrates initiative.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Confident in communicating, presenting, and tech savvy.
- Committed to continuous learning and development.
Preferred location: Christchurch; however, we are open to applications from candidates based in Hamilton, Auckland, and other locations.
- Intermediate level: 4-8 years’ experience in electrical design engineering.
- Senior level: 8+ years’ experience, specialising in primary systems.
If you believe you embody these qualities and have the relevant experience, we encourage you to apply.
Niko Engineering Limited offer:
- Competitive salary and additional financial benefits, including mobile phone accounts and complimentary medical insurance.
- Wellness benefits such as sit/stand desks and a supportive, flexible work environment.
- Future potential to transition to our chargeable hours’ salary scheme, rewarding high performance and productivity with increased earnings and enhanced flexibility.
- Professional and technical development opportunities, with guidance from seasoned peers to support your career advancement.
- Effective coaching programs aimed at passing on skills and knowledge to ensure the sustainability of our engineering consultancy.
- For intermediate-level positions: Personalised coaching plans tailored to support your strengths, foster learning, and facilitate professional growth. Additionally, opportunities to mentor junior engineers.
- For senior-level positions: Opportunities to mentor intermediate primary systems engineers and/or 3D CAD designers.
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth, with the chance to take on increased responsibilities as you expand your skills and understanding of our company.
- Participation in professional training and involvement in engineering bodies/organisations is highly encouraged and supported.
If you’re a skilled engineer eager to make a meaningful impact in the electricity industry and embrace a challenging yet rewarding opportunity, we invite you to submit your application. Become part of Niko Engineering Limited’s journey towards excellence and growth.
If you would like a copy of the full job description, please email email@example.com.
To apply, please complete your application online via Seek. Note that only applications submitted through SEEK will be considered.
A work visa can be provided for this role.